A life given to service
Dr. María Luisa Piraquive
Born in the municipality of Chipata, located in the Santander Department – Colombia. During her youth she lived alongside her parents Obdulio Piraquive and Maria Corredor and was the third of eight siblings. Dr. Maria Luisa Piraquive was raised in a humbling and enterprising family.
Dr. Maria Luisa Piraquive realized her elementary studies in the municipality of Sachica, located in the Department of Boyaca; later she relocated to Bogota where she studied high school through radio. From an early age, moral and ethical values were instilled. Her father was a man who was characterized by his love for reading and having an enterprising spirit, an attitude that allowed him to exercise important public positions. This example left Dr. Maria Luisa an indelible impression that motivated her to be self-taught.
In 1993, her desire to excel led her to perform professional studies, obtaining a Bachelor’s degree in Linguistics and Literature at the University of la Sabana. In 2000, she completed a degree in Community Management and Social Management at the Pontificial Xavierian University, as well as a graduate study in Management Education at the Free University of Colombia.
Concerned about the development of society, she considered the importance of reaffirming the values and principles of respect, towards dignity and human condition through the educational practice as the key to developing human beings with a sense of social solidarity.
Dr. Maria Luisa sees education as a perfect example to instill the values and to develop behavioral patterns. She considers that proper educational environments; involves among others, family, school and the media, key factors essential to achieving individual and collective welfare.
Her effective leadership has been evidenced in diverse activities of social and educational nature, in favor of vulnerable communities both nationally and internationally; her exemplary work, has allowed her to receive various titles and awards among which include:
- “Honor Roll for the Environmental Care”, awarded in 2011 by the Forest Reserve District of Cook County in Chicago - United States; for the contribution to the care of the environment and teachings about its importance.
- “Frida Award / IGF” granted in 2011 in Buenos Aires, Argentina; recognition awarded by the Internet Address Registry for Latin America and the Caribbean (LACNIC), the International Centre for Development Research (IDRC) and the Internet Society (ISOC).
- “Wings of Hope” Award, awarded in 2012 by the Colombian Air Force; exalting social commitment and contribution to the development of the country through the realization of Health Brigades.
- “Special Recognition” awarded in 2013 by the Mayor of the city of Riohacha, La Guajira - Colombia; for the contribution to the education of indigenous communities.
- Honorary Title “Master in Educational Administration”, awarded in 2012, in the city of San Juan of Puerto Rico, by the Latin American Council in honor of Educational Quality, in the framework of the XII Ibero-American Summit.
- Honorary title “Doctor Honoris Causa Summa Cum Laude”, awarded in 2012, in the city of San Juan of Puerto Rico, by the Latin American Council in honor of Educational Quality, in the framework of the XII Ibero-American Summit.
- Academic title “Doctor Honoris Causa”, awarded in 2013 in Mexico City - Mexico, by the YMCA University; for her outstanding career and her distinguished work as a social leader for the benefit of the most vulnerable communities.
- Honorary Title of “Doctor in Philosophy of Education Ph D.”, awarded in August 2014 by the Latin American Council in honor of Educational Quality in Puebla – Mexico. In gratitude and recognition of her exemplary leadership with proven honesty, gift of service and unrelenting and fruitful Educational Management, which enriches the Glorious Latin American Education.
- “Academician in Latin America” awarded by the Honorable World Academy of Education. In recognition of her great human virtues, professional achievements and in addition, to her unwavering and brilliant career in favor of World Valuable Education.
- “Master of Science in Education” awarded by the Latin American Council in honor of Educational Quality in gratitude and recognition of her exemplary leadership with proven honesty, gift of service and unrelenting and fruitful Educational Management, which enriches the Glorious Latin American Education.
With over 40 years of social work, Dr. María Luisa continues to serve humanity and founded the Maria Luisa de Moreno International Foundation as a nonprofit entity, whose primary purpose is to help the most vulnerable communities at all levels through the development and implementation of educational, productive and humanitarian programs.